We can tell you all the tips about taking care of your lawn, but plain and simple, what most people lack is the time (or the desire to give up the time required) to do lawn care the best they can.
That makes total sense.
According to The Lawn Institute, the average lawn is around 10,000 square feet in size (about a quarter-acre), and the average time to mow that lawn size is around 30 minutes. In certain Dallas-area suburbs, the lot size only gets bigger from there — and so does the time to mow. Assuming you’re mowing your lawn weekly during the nine-month North Texas lawn season, that’s going to cost you around 19 hours of your life every year.
That’s just the average. And just mowing.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that in 2014, the average American adult spent 9.6 minutes caring for their lawns every day. When you extrapolate that out to 365 days, that means more than 58 hours is focused out in the lawn every year, per person. And since Gallup reports that Americans spend 17.2 hours awake every day on average, that means Americans are burning about three-and-a-half days mowing, weed eating, fertilizing, watering and otherwise obsessing over the look of their lawns. Imagine if you hired the lawn care professionals at North Texas Lawns to spend all that time in the yard. What would you do with all that time you got back? Beauty Heaven has a list of a bunch of things you could accomplish in just three days:
- Binge watch a TV series
- Complete a juice cleanse
- Whiten your teeth
- Write a song
- Re-read the seventh Harry Potter book
- Go on a shopping spree
- Learn a Beyonce dance routine
- Travel to the moon (yep, that’s how long it takes)
- Digest a steak
BuzzFeed cuts it down even more, listing 24 “life-changing” things that can be achieved in one day. Here are some of those:
- The average person reads 200 words per minute. At that speed, you could read 696,000 words in the 58 hours you’ll save annually — enough to read Fahrenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, The Red Badge of Courage, Slaughterhouse-Five, As I Lay Dying, Lord of the Flies, Mrs. Dalloway, The Scarlet Letter, Brave New World, The Color Purple and Atonement — with time to spare. You could also read A Tale of Two Cities, Schindler’s List, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Gulliver’s Travels and All The Pretty Horses (with time to spare).
- With the average song length clocking in at about 3 minutes, you could listen to 1,160 songs with the time you save.
And since the average lawn care time is 9 minutes per day per person, Huffpost takes things even further, listing the things you can do for 9 minutes a day that’ll change your life:
- Sit upright, legs crossed, eyes closed in silence. (1 minute)
- Read or recite a short set of affirmations. (1 minute)
- Visualize yourself going through your day. (1 minute)
- Do ONE set of ONE exercise. (1 minute)
- Read one page in a book. (1 minute)
- Write into a one-sentence journal. (1 minute)
- With the final three minutes, post something creative or inspiring on social media.
Think of all the time you’ll save when you call North Texas Lawns! You could then enjoy all this reclaimed time on your beautiful, healthy, green lawn. Call us for a free quote today!